An often overlooked Essential Element
Ensuring that each potential STEMI patient in your system receives a timely screening ECG upon presentation to any give “STEMI Portal” is an absolutely essential requirement. Without Recognition there can be no Reperfusion. Therefore, anything less than near-perfection is not acceptable.
Obtaining timely ECG’s on every patient that needs on is difficult but definitely acheivable. The following materials will help.
- Recognition Theory [UNDER CONSTRUCTION]: A short primer on practical Recognition Science.
- STEMI System Assessment Checklist (.pdf): A one-page assessment. How are you doing currently? Do you have the pieces in place to optimize Recognition?
- Recognition Back-up Options [UNDER CONSTRUCTION]: Your STEMI Gatekeepers need multiple options to get that screening ECG done quickly. What happens when your ED is really busy? Study this plan to get some ideas for your ED.
- The Project UPSTART Screening ECG Protocol: You have probably seen this before. Print copies and place in multiple places in your ED and triage areas to constantly remind staff which patients require a screening ECG. Laminate small copies for EMS, etc. Incorporate the expectation that it should be followed 24/7!
- The Project UPSTART Provider Training Module: Provider education is the most important Relationship. The Provider Training Module emphasizes the role of ED and EMS staff as “STEMI Gatekeepers” responsible for the early detection of STEMI. We encourage all EMS, ED and triage staff to complete this short training module consisting of an on-line tutorial, short video and two-page test.
- EMS Recognition Strategies (.ppt): A PowerPoint discussion of EMS pre-hospital ECG
- EMS Pre-hospital ECG Protocol: Keep it this simple! (a sample).